BG REACTIONS: THE SILHOUETTE CHALLENGE



I really love the silhouette challenge. Maybe I'm a low-key bad boy. But I know for certain that I'm not alone here. Despite the fact that the challenge has been met with so much backlash from men and women, more and more people are participating.

The silhouette challenge basically involves one switching from a robe or PJ into lingerie while dancing to Paul Anka's "Put Your Head On my Shoulder". The Silhouette is created by a crimson red Snap Chat filter available on the mobile App. 

Why is this challenge bursting my head? 

1. It's the fact that a song from 1959 makes a come back in the year 2021! Up until yesterday, I had never heard of a Paul Anka. It's also very heartwarming that he's alive to experience all of this. And really, from the looks of Paul's website, it seems the old man is also going with the flow. 

"Life is Short, Art is long" is something I say a lot. And I know for certain, that art never really goes away. It is always waiting to be rediscovered. The lesson is to think about how we can make the work of our hands outlive us. 

2. The fact that the challenge is sparking conversations about gender inequality. 

Men have joined the challenge too. And for some reason, a man in briefs doing this challenge rates less critical than a woman in lingerie. But aren't they both scantily dressed? What upsets me is the fact that we police women far much more than we do so to men.

3. People are using the popularity of the challenge to leverage visibility for their brands. 

Pitstop restaurant, Lagos created an ad based on the challenge by transforming a chicken into a sumptuous meal. People on Instagram are also using the challenge to show off their creative talents (while being fully clothed).  

4. The challenge is also sparking conversations about body positivity and self-acceptance. 

While I love this challenge, it can be potentially dangerous. 

1. People are going naked online. Well, not really. They are obscuring their form with a filter. But there are reports that the filter can be removed. And just like that, your business can be all over social media, waaaa! 

Again, In Nigeria, it's taboo to be anything other than adequately dressed in public. So you have to consider the impact of your participation in this challenge, on your job and your relationships. It might be for our entertainment, but it's your life. Your real life!

Will I be participating in this challenge? 

 I wouldn't dare. My phone will ring non-stop because my aunties will let me have it. My mum alone has 29 siblings! However, to be honest, it's not that important a challenge, to risk anything for. And by this, I mean that if it pushed my life forward in any way, I wouldn't give a damn. 


Comments

  1. Wow.
    I love how you effortlessly make your points. Beautiful post as always!

    In fact, I have just read through multiple of your blog posts.

    You're indeed a multi-talented Pharmacist.
    I'm proud to be your friend.

    As men of honor.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ore mi, God bless you for your kind words. As men of honour, we collabo! lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

STEPHEN DUNEIER'S STRATEGY FOR ACHIEVING GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS LEVEL SUCCESS IS SO EASY, IT'S UNBELIEVABLE .

MY ACADEMIC SUCCESS STORY: HOW I WENT FROM BEING AN F STUDENT TO A B STUDENT